Can I use my foreign driving licence in the UK?

The rules surrounding international driving licences are complicated, and the outcome is dependent on a number of factors. If your driving licence wasn’t obtained in the EU or a designated country, you must apply for a provisional GB licence. You can then take a driving test and apply for a full licence once you’ve been in Great Britain for at least six months. The ‘designated countries’ are: Andorra, Australia, Barbados, British Virgin Islands, Canada, Falkland Islands, Faroe Islands, Hong Kong, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, Republic of Korea, Singapore, South Africa, Switzerland, Zimbabwe. Driving in Great Britain on a non-GB licence To find out if your licence is eligible, use the DVLA’s Driving Tool. Be aware that this process is different if you’re from Northern Ireland.

Exchange a foreign driving licence

Find out how to exchange your non-British driving licence for a British licence. There’s a different process if you want to get a Northern Ireland driving licence.

Application to register a non-GB driving licence (form D9)

You will need to use a D9 form to register a non-GB driving licence with DVLA.



Ref: D9PDF, 10.4MB, 4 pages

This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.


If you live in GB and drive a bus with 9 passenger seats or more or a vehicle weighing more than 3.5 tonnes, you need to register your non-GB driving licence with the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA). Application forms should be sent along with your EU/EEA driving licence (and documentary evidence if required) to: DVLA Swansea SA99 1BH