Remember Driving Licence & Insurance

Is my car insured abroad?

As it stands, your insurer is obliged under EU legislation to cover you for at least the minimum level of legal insurance in EU countries plus Andorra, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Serbia and Switzerland.

For countries outside of the EU, you should check with your insurer to make sure your policy covers you. If it doesn’t, you can either upgrade your policy or, depending on your insurer, pay for it as an extra – this usually covers you for 30 days.

Once you’re insured you should receive a Green Card (an internationally recognised confirmation of insurance – see below) to take with you. If you don’t, make sure you request one – it’s free.

Always check the terms and conditions of your cover. Some policies will cease to be valid after a certain amount of days.